Because I have a terrible habit of forgetting to buy eggs, and as I wanted to make something with the tin of cherries I had, I came up with this little slice based on an egg free sponge recipe. My last attempt at an egg free cake, didn’t go very well, it was more like a biscuit. But this turned out soft and moist. So for those eggless moments, it is a yummy little slice, plus no added sugar (only the sugar in the condensed milk).
– 1/2 tin of piped cherries
– 1 375ml tin of sweetened condensed milk
– 280 gms plain flour
– 3 tsp baking powder
– 1 tsp soda bi-carb
– 120 ml. melted coconut oil
– 2 tsp vanilla essence
– 150ml water
– Mix together the dry ingredients.
– Mix the water, condensed milk, coconut oil and essence, then add to dry ingredients and mix.
-A dd the cherries
– Pour the batter into a greased tin.
– Sprinkle with coconut and sliced almond
– Bake in a pre-heated oven at 200°c for 10 minutes. Then reduce the temperature to and bake at 150° c for another 15 minutes.
– The cake is ready when it leaves the sides of the tin and is springy to touch.
– Allow to cool