Because I have a terrible habit of forgetting to buy eggs, and as I wanted to make something with the tin of cherries I had, I came up with this little slice based on an egg free sponge recipe. My last attempt at an egg free cake, didn’t go very well, it was more like a biscuit. But this turned out soft and moist. So for those eggless moments, it is a yummy little slice, plus no added sugar (only the sugar in the condensed milk).
- 1/2 tin of piped cherries
- 1 375ml tin of sweetened condensed milk
- 280 gms plain flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp soda bi-carb
- 120 ml. melted coconut oil
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 150ml water
- Mix together the dry ingredients.
- Mix the water, condensed milk, coconut oil and essence, then add to dry ingredients and mix.
-A dd the cherries
- Pour the batter into a greased tin.
- Sprinkle with coconut and sliced almond
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 200°c for 10 minutes. Then reduce the temperature to and bake at 150° c for another 15 minutes.
- The cake is ready when it leaves the sides of the tin and is springy to touch.
- Allow to cool